Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Priscy and the Pattern Factory

The 8th day!Bright colours to start a new week!

(Never wear this during winter unless your hotel is near!)

Obviously I had to wear a coat to shield myself from the foggy cold winds


Fluffy's new friend: Tuffy the Bunny!:)


I had jacket potato and prawn mayo for lunch in the office canteen.


This is the candy stop I told you guys abt..in the office



What a weird thing..I am curious to try it..



The fur hat I have to draft



In the process of drafting..


Christopher Kane latest design for Topshop.


Ironing is super therapeutic!


Alan the hero of the day!


The legendery iron metal stopper!


You really have to use a tiny whiny scissor to protect the fur while cutting

Driana draping a printed dress with frills and inserted pleats in the sleeves and the waist.


Val thinking of how to improve the seamed lace dress..its a mock up only and its already so nice!


Geraldine teaching me how to sew hoop buttons

The delicate lace dress!


Cajun Chicken Wrap for dinner..taste like pizaa!Yum Yum...

Rocky Road..on the kill..



With scissors on one hand, ruler on the other and a block of metal beside him, Alan, the sample cutter weaved his magic hands into the thick heavy wool and very soon all the jacket patterns for the Unique Collection by Topshop was completed. (well not all really..he is almost there! )


Today I made a big mistake by going to the Design team instead of the Pattern room on the 6th floor. Luckily, Louise reminded me and whizzed me off to meet Geraldine (head of Patterns). She was very jolly,friendly and totally loving! She glows when she smiles and is always seen giving a cheer to her team members. The pattern room is not very big but the equipments there are of top notch quality.

It really helped to blend in when everyone offers a smile to you when you are so new. I was assigned 3 tasks which got me busy for the whole day!First, I was to cut the pattern for a pants for the boutique collection. I happened to chat with Driana Rayner who is a very experienced Pattern cutter for boutique collection. She works with all the upcoming british designers like Christopher Kane, Marios Schwab, Joanathan Saunders, Emma Cook, Preen and alot more

She told me the most challenging draft she ever made was Christopher Kane's black leather dress which had a million parts to join and she had to think how to fuse the different textures together and make it look good. And she was really kind to show me the file of all the designers that had worked with Topshop. Seriously, that was a eye opener as I looked through the adorable illustrations, explanation and ideas of these emerging new talents in the fashion scene!

Looking very confused over what I must do, Alan who is 60 years old this year has been cutting fabrics for over 40 years! He patiently guided me through all the steps and explained the different grain lines, textures and techniques to cut the best pattern! Was so fun learning from him because he speaks really clearly and in a step by step manner!

After completing the trousers, I was asked to draw the pattern for a fur hat! AHHHHHH...honestly that is my most dreaded thing to do ever! My drafting skills is so not on par with everyone..sheesh! But I was super relieved I joined a hats competition a few years ago and its the same mock up I did! Weeh..I did it with a breeze and Geraldine praised me for my neat lines..ahahha..if she knew more she will be disappointed I am sure.

As its a fur hat I am doing, I had to cut the pattern on fur! Never have I done it before and again Alan came to my rescue. He taught me the trick and explained the smooth and rough surfaces we want to achieve through positioning the pattern pieces at the right grain line. Really learnt alot from him and very soon I completed my 2nd task.

I did a small chat with Geraldine about the unique collection and was so fascinated at all the mock ups and actual pieces of the Unique collection for London Fashion Week 2008 on the 10th of Feb! Most of the designs are constantly changing so everything is not very confirmed yet. But to me all the pieces I saw today were really beautiful. The print, the texture and the way it drapes on the dummy is better than I expected

And as we went through the pieces that were done, she asked if I would like to sew hook buttons on the lace dress I so loved when I saw it hanging in the closet. I did it and boy was it tough! The lace is so soft and my hands are so huge and bulky in comparision to it and I was also taught how to sew hoop buttons..and by the time I was done, it was already past 6pm. I cannot wait for tomorrow to come so I can learn from all the wonderful elves of the pattern factory!O ya..and lately I have been eating lots of chocolates and growing a really pimply face..sobs!!!

No comments: