Sunday, January 6, 2008

The 4-letter Word


"I love Fashion!” “I love that shade of yellow!” “I love what you’ve done with the place!” “I love you!”

We sure do use the word “love” a lot, but we tend to define it in a variety of ways. Often when we say “I love,” it means we really prefer one thing to another, or value something for the pleasure it gives. Many times, it’s about feelings: When we feel very close to someone, we say that we love them.

John also tells us that love is important. In fact, it’s at the heart of the gospel message; it’s what distinguishes us as followers of Christ. So what is this “love” that John exhorts us to?

The love John speaks about is not so much about our preferences, our pleasure, or our feelings of affection. It’s more about our will and the actual, real-life steps we take to give ourselves to other people. John is challenging us with the perfect example of self-giving: Jesus himself. By laying down his life for us, he summons us to do likewise—to open our hearts and hands to the needy and to demonstrate that we love “not in word or speech but in deed and truth” (1 John 3:18).

For some, this kind of love can be difficult. They can find it hard to move out of their comfort zones and reach out to someone. But whether we find it easy or difficult to reach out, the call to sacrifice should encourage us. Why? Because it’s the very thing that draws us closer to Jesus. Without his Spirit, we are incapable of offering ourselves fully to each other.

How can we be sure we’re on the right track? John gives us a very simple way of testing our faith. As long as our hearts remain rooted in Jesus, trusting in his provision, we are doing fine. Whenever we happen to feel condemned or overly anxious, we should look inside ourselves.

Every step we take in the right direction, however imperfect, is proof that God is with us. Every act of love we make proves not that we are strong or worthy but that Jesus is at work within us—and that is all the proof we need!

I admit with guilt that sometimes i think or say i love someone,because he or she makes me feel special.After reading through this passage,it brought me deeper insights and understanding of what love really means.And the best present GOD gave us is Jesus.For God is love,and even if the world forsakes or despises me,God so loved me,he sent his only son to die for my sins. And so I am taking steps to embrace the loving grace of my saviour for I know I am whole and complete in His name.

“Lord, how often I fail in my efforts to love! Renew your Spirit within me, and strengthen me with your joy and peace so I can give them to all those around me!”

All of these taken from the Word among Us-5th of Jan 2008.

No comments: