Thursday, February 14, 2008

Without Expectations! (Part Two)



The Holy Spirit, in the figure of a dove in St Peter's Square!I cried when I saw it..for I know I am in the heart of the church!





The gloomy clouds clearing up for bright new sunshine!!



How grand!!



Gosh..i love this pic..I think the clouds,the clear blue sky and rich greenery is so wow..


Out in the little streets of Rome..where I decided to leave my mark on this antique mirror!



A fine looking stairs I found when I was trying to find my way around.



Don't ask me how many gelatos I ate..I cant even count with my fingers and toes!



In the gallery of maps in the Vatican Museum!Everthing was handpainted.how insane!Each map was more than two storey high!



The reason I live for!



My totally unglam hostel in Rome..try to figure out where I sleep!(Hint..my bomber jacket!)


Continuing from my previous post..I will go on about what happened after my museum visit!Although I went to St Peter's square on my first day, I forgot to bring elaine's prayer intentions in a card along with me so I decided to go back to St peter's square where I can visit the tomb of all the popes. When I walked further in, I noticed a line of people, some kneeling, some eyes shut and some crying. There I was, right in front of Pope John Paul II's tomb. I wished I could lay my letter and elaine's letter in front of his tomb but the security was really tight. I picked up courage and asked if I could and to my surprise, He agreed to place it in front of the tomb!



I wished I had a time to have a quieter time praying but the crowd continued to grow so I had no choice but to leave. Next, I popped by the cupola to make my way high up to the highest peak of St Peter's Square!Thinking its no big deal climbing, I paid for the lift ride for (500 over storeys) and made my way up to the remaining 300 over steps. Gosh by the time I was half way around the super narrow and dim spiral stairways..I was puffing and huffing like a super tired bunny!!!And it goes worse when there were more steep stairs to walk further up and up and up!



Feeling really giddy, I stopped for a few times to just let my blood flow through my brain as I continued climbing up! Finally after much panting, I made my way up to the highest peak! WOAH..the scenery really blew my mind away! The sky was so clear, so fresh, so wow..Ahaha..I do not know how to describe the feeling or emotions I felt but yeah you have to be there to know what i am talking about! After much resting and cooling down in the wintery breeze, I made my way down the super winding stairs again!!



Strangely, the vatican is packed with lots of souvenir shops but I was never interested to step into any one. Before I walk towards the lift, I noticed a small souvenir shop and was so drawn to it! As I looked through the rows and stacks of stuff to buy in there, I was really clueless what to get for my friends and family all within the mini budget I had. Sensing I was taking a little too long, an indian sister came up to me and asked if I needed any help. We started getting on with our small chat of how I am alone in Rome, where she came from, how she misses Pope John Paul and even to asking me what is my confirmation name.

After I told her my baptism name is faustina, her eyes glowed with delight and she excitedly told me that I was at the right place! Looking really puzzled, she told me there is a beautiful church called Holy Spirit off the street of St Peter Square and said it was where Saint Faustina was commissioned to be Saint by Pope John Paul. Gosh, I could feel this comfort and joy in my heart rising as I bid her goodbye and hurried off to the church before the sky turns dark.

Her explanation of the direction was pretty unclear and everyone I asked didnt know where the church was. So after waking round about in circles, I decided to ask God to lead the way. Oh yes, I have to mention that in St Peter's Square you can see the biggest show of doves gathered there! It came to no surprise that I saw lots of doves gathering but just as I was about to give up finding, I saw a dove flying away from the millions of doves to another direction. It came nearer to me and flew onwards to its destination.

Trusting that I am being led by God, I followed the dove. And guess what! I found the church! I was almost in tears as I entered the really quiet but charming church. Just as I entered, the ash wednesday service was going on and once it was done, I slowly walked towards the candle lit area where I saw a really biggggg painting of the divine mercy. Jesus looked so loving, gentle and I just broke down and wept like a baby. I felt really overwhelmed by this strong surge of joy, peace and happiness I cannot explain. Right beside the painting was St Faustina Statue, those of you who have been following my blog will know how important and impactful she has been in my spiritual life.

I do not know how long I knelt there for but it was the best best cry and confession I ever made. After I lighted a candle, I looked behind me and saw a really angelic painting of Pope John Paul and beside him was our ever sweet Mother Mary. I knew I have been given a chance to pray with all my heart and I stayed in the church till the sun set.

With a skip and a turn, I was really on cloud nine. Never expecting to experience this, God lead my way and showered me with his blessings and love. I continued to make my way down to Castel Sant Angelo and witnessed the coolest sunset by the river walk. But the joy stopped alittle when I was making my way back to the bus station.

Right beside of me by the traffic light, a young italian man started chatting me up. He started with a string of Italian, then some japanese and he even tried to put his hand around me. All of you should have seen the look on my face. I totally backed off far away from him and was praying the traffic light turns green quickly.

Once it was green man, I dashed through the road but he continued to follow behind me. So I decided to slow my pace down and let him overtake me. He did but soon felt uncomfortable I was behind him. It sounds really drama but it seems we were in some movie. Feeling really freaked out, I kept on praying in tongues and prayed for a miracle. Just then, I came to another red man and was totally aghasted and was all ready to grab any elderly hand for help!!!

Thank God, my prayer worked and once it was green man, I made sure I went to the brightly lit street and I saw him withdrawing towards a dark gloomy alley. Phew..I sighed the biggest relief and was super alert as I constantly check if he was still lurking behind. I made my way to my hostel in one piece and really thank God for the unexpected situations I faced and the strength and wisdom to face it. And I slept smiling with joy because I will meet Chelsa, Jaclyn and Donna in Florence the next day. Finally I can talk to someone!!ahaha..

No comments: