I am deeply ashamed of my actions yesterday and it took Ant to wake me up. As we exit through the gates of Toa Payoh Mrt Station, two sad-looking kids approached me. Both of them are so small, they only reach my hips. They were dressed in worn out casuals and the older girl I presumed was around 8 years old, while the younger one was maybe 5 years old.
She came nearer to me and muttered something along this line, 'my card, no money, 1 dollar..'
Everytime I encounter people who approaches me on the streets, I get very wary and immediately I think of ducking away and pretend nothing happened. But this time, I think God wanted to teach me a lesson on touching lives.
Ant on the other hand was beside me.When we both exit through the gates, she asked what was wrong. I replied her saying that they asked for money and I walked towards the direction we are heading to .
Instead, I saw Ant returning back to the two children who were behind the gates. They looked really lost and Ant stood there trying to understand what they needed. Apparently, the little girl's card had no more cash and she could not get out of the gates. But they were afraid of approaching the control station staff, so Ant helped explained their situation to the staff and got the kids out.
The story is, the older kid was bringing the younger one (her cousin) back to her house in Toa Payoh. But somehow they got stuck behind the gates of the MRT and I believed they have been roaming behind the gates seeking help for the longest time. And obviously like other people, I became a culprit of ignoring their presence and aiding them any help. And when the kids got out, Ant asked if there was enough cash in her ez link card. The older girl said there is $1.54 but Ant insisted on checking the balance with the top-up machine outside.
We found out it was actually -$1.54, which means there was absolutely no money at all!And without thinking, Ant topped up $10 for her. O man, I felt really selfish man. For I am the one with a job while Ant does not have any at the moment.
Gosh, Ant's act of love was really overwhelming beautiful. There is so much I need to learn from it and after that as we were walking up the stairs, I told her how impressed I was with her touch of love to others. 'I cannot leave them alone, I know I cant and even though I am broke, I know God will provide me'.
Later on at the Pentecost Rally, Father Gino so aptly talked about touching lives. We all have gifts of the holy spirit, our touch to others is an instrument for God to spread his undying love. And all we need to do is really to touch others with whatever we have. Be it a smile, a greeting, a prayer or anything the holy spirit prompts us to do.
A meaningful lesson learnt! Wow..I am completely in awe and I know I have now learnt to listen to my heart not my mind and may the Holy Spirit continue to dwell and prompt me in my daily walk with Him!


No comments:
Post a Comment