Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Being Single


Aha...just this title alone can evoke so many emotions,esp for myself.Many times people,relatives and friends will ask..are you seeing someone?And my answer would be no,i am not. But deep in my heart,i really wish to have a soulmate,someone who appreciate and loves me for who i am,someone whom i want to love with all my heart regarding how we both look when we are fifty.Someone i can be so silly and childish yet so beautiful in his eyes,someone i can wear no makeup,no fancy clothes and yet say i am special and unique.And most importantly,someone who loves God!

After drawing closer to God,alot of my wordly thoughts and actions i used to believe all seemed so dumb and silly.I remember i used to date a guy after i broke up with another so that i wont enter the phrase of loneliness,because i did not want to end up looking like i am so pathetic.

And of course,they never worked out.Lately i have been reading Joshua Harris's books.One is called I kissed dating goodbye and the other is called boy meets girl.Both books really inspires me on how Christ centered love is all about.For anyone who is single or is in a relationship,I strongly encourage you guys to read it!And if you do not wish to buy,can borrow from me!:)

Any season of singleness is a gift from God.Huh?how can it be a gift i thought to myself.I feel like when i am single,God is depriving me of someone whom i can love and get loved.Who does not want to be loved in this world!!!Rise up your hands!!:P


This chapter in book one gives an outline of God's view towards proper attitude towards singleness in 1 Corinthians 7:32

I want you to live as free of complications as possible.When you're unmarried,you're free to concentrate on simply pleasuring the Master.Marriage involves you in all the nuts and bolts of domestic life and in wanting to please your spouse,leading to so many more demands on your attention.The time and energy that married people spend on caring and nurturing each other,the unmarried can spend on becoming holy instruments of God.-message translated.

Paul did not say this to put marriage down but rather encourages us to view singleness as a gift.God does not use our singleness to punish us.He has created this season as an unparalleled opportunity for undistracted devotion to God.And as a time for growth and service that we should not take for granted or allow to slip by.

Someone once said,"Don't let your singlehood pass by,do something with it!"Here are some questions i asked myself..

1.Am I concentrating on "simply pleasing the Master?"
2.Am I using this season of my life to become a "holy" instrument for God?
3.Or am I scrambling to find a romantic relationship with someone by dating?
4.Am i failing to believe that God is sovereign over this part of my life and can provide for me?
5.Could I possibly be throwing away the gift of singleness?
6.Am i cluttering my life with needless complication and worries of dating.

Er..have to admit.I was a cluttered wavering butterfly,hoping to flutter from one flower to another searching and looking,yet my wings were still not fully grown.Urgh!

While we're single,dating not only keep us from preparing for marriage,but can also quite possibly rob us of the gift of singleness.Dating can tie us down in a series of pseudo relationships,but God wants us to maximize our freedom and flexibility to serve Him.Any season of singleness,whether you are sixteen or fifty six is a gift.

Applying this reflection in my life requires....patience.God just asks for me to wait.And it is through obedience that catches God's attention(2 Cor 16:9)Waiting for God's timing requires trusting in His goodness and wisdom.We develop patience as we trust that God denies us what we think is good only because He has something better for us-both now and in the future.

But...it is often so difficult trusting God.I have a nagging fear he wants to keep me single forever or he will match me with someone i do not like.Hee..these worries might sound silly but its sometimes the lack of faith that affects the way I approach dating.

"Dear God,I am nothing but you made me something,how can i not trust in you,please hold my hands and let me dance into the meadows with you where not even the stars or birds will disturb the joy and love you are pouring onto me!I love you,daddy God!"

No comments: