Monday, March 10, 2008

Is your time being stolen?



Just being busy does not mean you are a success.

I read this story from Joyce Meyer: I dare you to embrace life with passion book and found it really enlightening on the issue of busyness.

Once upon a time a very strong woodcutter asked for a job with a timber merchant and got it. The pay was really good and so were the work conditions. For that reason the woodcutter was determined to do his best. He wanted to be a success on his new job. His boss gave him an ax and showed him the area where he was supposed to work.

The first day the woodcutter brought eighteen trees back. "Congratulations," the boss said. "Go on that way!" Very motivated by the boss's words, the woodcutter tried harder the next day, but he could only bring back fifteen trees. The third day he tried even harder, but he only brought back ten trees. Day after day, no matter how hard he tried, he was bringing fewer trees.
I must be losing strength, the woodcutter thought. He went to the boss and aplogized, saying he could not understand what was going on.

"When was the last time you sharpened your ax?" the boss asked. "Sharpen?I had no time to sharpen my ax. I have been very busy trying to cut trees."


I admit that got me thinking about my lifestyle and what I have been busy with lately. When I look around, my busyness is nothing new. The whole world seems to be in a hurry. Everyone is busy. I get so caught up with being busy I miss seeing others in need and I feel busyness is like a curse; we get on a treadmill called "busy" and cannot seem to find a way to get off.

And when one stays busy for long periods of time, like weeks or months, it's hard to take a break when there is a chance to do so. It is hard to relax and give yourself permission to catch a breath, to read a book for enjoyment or sit down and watch a movie on television. But yet continue to feel tired and worn out even after a vacation and the body is not used to a more laid-back lifestyle. So where does the problem lies? Am I being so addicted to being busy that I do not have time for God and caring for my loved ones?

No comments: