Tuesday, June 9, 2009

signature style



"If I admire someone, I prefer to see them at their best. I don't want to see a woman that I think of as glamorous in the grocery store wearing sweatpants and a ripped T-shirt."
—Dita Von Teese

Somehow, I have always thought its really hard to define glamour nowadays with people dressing so casually when they go out. Even I am guilty of it. But just as I was about to embrace laidback chill for the rest of my life, I read this article and am in love with the fantasy of glamour. Amazingly, its not about others, its about you.

DVT: Living in California, I think there definitely is. People are in such a hurry and they don't really know how to dress.

SP: They want to be comfortable.
DVT: I suppose. It's nice to be comfortable, but I'd rather be uncomfortable. [both laugh]

SP: What was genius for me about the divas from the '30s and '40s was that they each had a look that reflected their personality and lifestyle. For me, people are really beautiful when they find a way to reflect who they are in the way they dress.

DVT: Yes, like Marlene Dietrich. She knew her own style and took risks and wore pants when people said it wasn't glamorous and was a terrible thing for a woman to do. She had a signature style. Greta Garbo, too. They kind of embraced their own cliché and their persona, and I love that. Women love to dress up now, but I feel like there aren't a lot of risk-takers. I really enjoy watching people like Madonna, or Cher, or Barbra Streisand on the red carpet. I want to see people wearing exciting things that are different and to know that they're not just looking for the latest, most normal thing


Be charmed by her through this witty short interview.

No comments: